While having a strategy is important, it only engages 5% of your organisation. It’s not enough if your people can’t connect it to how it impacts their day to day work.
An Operating Model is required to engage the remaining 95%. It acts as the ‘North Star’ to align leaders, teams and stakeholders to clearly understand how their strategy will affect what they do. They need to make this connection to understand the ‘why’ behind what they do so they know how they can impact the overall customer experience.
To give your strategy the best possible chance of succeeding, it’s also important to closely examine your business using a holistic approach.
Not adopting a holistic approach can result in your business being out of sync with your strategy.
- Under utilisation of existing capabilities and assets
- Not making the best use of data to generate insights and increase value
- Not being sufficiently close to your customers to identify how their needs impact your priorities
- Reacting too slowly or lack of agility to respond to opportunities or threats
- Trying to prioritise everything, dropping the ball and generating change fatigue
- Making decisions in isolation without considering the overall impact – death by a thousand cuts
- Budget / investment not linked to strategy with significant amounts of money wasted
- A culture of no accountability or collaboration along with a disengaged workforce
- Delivering performance outcomes which don’t match your strategic ambition
- Provoking change resistance because the change is not embedded appropriately
The approach clearly maps out how all dimensions of an organisation are configured to create value for your customers.
Our BE HOLISTIC integrated capability tool allows you to clearly map out how all dimensions of an organisation are configured to create value for your customers.
It enables you to challenge whether any areas of your organisation are getting in the way of achieving the goals you have set.
Overview of our BE HOLISTIC integrated capability tool
Some of the key questions you may wish to explore include the following:
Does this mean you need to completely overhaul your business when you change your strategy?
No, not necessarily. When you change your strategy, you may find that certain elements such as the End to End Value Chain or Culture may need to be adjusted. And in some cases, the model may need to be overhauled—Organisation Design and all.
It really depends on what the gaps are between your current model and your strategic ambitions.
However extensive the needed changes may be, all dimensions should be well integrated and internally consistent.
How can we help?
Our BE HOLISTIC integrated capability tool helps to explore transformation opportunities and prioritises focus areas for change by shaping the capabilities needed to successfully transition to your future state.
It helps by iteratively developing prototypes of the future service delivery models and capabilities which we can then test against customers / stakeholder expectations, talent abilities / mindset and the competitive landscape so that we can clearly define the magnitude of change required to move to a new and more agile operating model.